Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ketosis

What is ketosis?

Normally your body burns carbohydrates for fuel. When you drastically cut carbs, the body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, and it begins to burn its own fat for fuel.  
When your fat stores become a primary energy source, you may lose weight.

After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.

What are ketones?

Ketones are substances that are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally, your body gets the energy it needs from carbohydrate in your diet. But stored fat is broken down and ketones are made if your diet does not contain enough carbohydrate to supply the body with sugar (glucose) for energy or if your body can't use blood sugar (glucose) properly.

This is so interesting to me. I googled 'low-carb diet headaches'  and this is what I discovered.
 It is the WHY of what my chiropractor is having me do. I must admit that today, DAY 1: was very hard. It was a mental difficulty more than anything. I do have a solid will power to stay the course but, these headaches are killing me. I did notice I get them AFTER I eat. usually if I eat fresh fruit then it kicks in. My doc told me fresh fruit was okay to eat since it's a natural carb and not processed.
Guess I just gotta hang in. I feel like today was the hardest day ever and I had low low energy. I am glad I made it through! I did go over my calories a bit because I ate an 8 oz chicken breast for lunch.. thanks Costco! ;-) but, every single thing I put in my body was healthy and low carb that is an accomplishment for me! I feel like I should have lost 20lbs today for all the effort that was required. I hope the weekdays go by faster with a busier schedule of chauffering kiddos around.

I took my measurements today to look back as my weekly progress reports. My doc said that I would notice more in inches than weight at first so, I am really excited to get some results. If it's this hard the rewards should be stellar I figure! Thanks for reading and offering support! It's amazing to hear words of encouragement from friends. Keep 'em coming this is one of the hardest things i've had to do in life.

Much Love.






No comments:

Post a Comment